CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 12, 2009

How to Make a Tutu

A couple of weeks ago I decided to make Arden a tutu. I looked online for instructions, and it seemed super easy...and it was! I ended up making the tutu during General Conference last Sunday, and it really helped me concentrate on the speakers. Anywho, here are the instructions in case you want to make a tutu, too!

First, buy some tulle and elastic. I went to Walmart and chose four colors: lavender, coral, turquoise, and white. I bought 1 yard of each. Arden's tutu was 7" long, so if you want to make a longer one, you'll need more than 4 yards of tulle. I also bought 1/4" elastic. All was very inexpensive!

Second, cut the elastic and cut the tulle into strips. I measured the elastic around Arden's waist and cut it a little bit longer. I did that so I could tie the elastic together using a square knot. You can also sew the ends together. I then took the tulle and cut them into 4"x14" strips. You need to cut them double the length of your tutu. Since Arden's tutu is 7", I cut the strips 14" in length.

Third, take 3 strips of tulle and pile them on top of each other. (I think 3 strips makes the skirt more voluminous than just one.) Then, fold them in half. You'll need to make sure the loop is as thin as you can make it.

Fourth, place the loop underneath the elastic.

Fifth, bring the ends up and through the loop. Don't tighten the loops until the very end.

Once you have all the loops on, tighten them. I found once I tightened the loops, I could fit more loops on the tutu. I ended up having 32 loops! I also made a hair bow to match.

Voila! Now Arden can look all cute for her First Birthday!


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Erik said...

Great tutorial. I hope Arden has a great birthday!

Nessa and Jeebs said...

I love that! very cute

Moe said...

How cute! What a great mama you are!