CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 01, 2009

Chaotic Primary

So I realize I haven't written anything about my new calling as a primary teacher. Today was the third class I've taught. The kids are 7 years old. The numbers vary from week to week. The first week I had 2 kids...they were bouncing off the walls. The second week I had 7 kids. Not as much bouncing off the walls, but they were still loud and a bit obnoxious. This week I had 3 kids, and their behavior was a combo of weeks one and two. I just need to figure out how to get and keep their attention.

I'm not used to teaching a primary class by myself. Adam's always been there with me. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the kids to behave and respect me. I don't know if it's because I'm short and I seem young or what. I'm sure it isn't really just me. They do listen to me...for a few minutes...and then it's off to crazy town again. This week I started with a game of hangman, which they enjoyed. Maybe I'll do that every other week. I don't want it to get old. I also gave them a maze/coloring page to do during the lesson thinking they'd be too busy to act up. Unfortunately, they only spent about two minutes working on that. The previous teacher recommended having them talk about their week before the lesson. That way it gets all the "talk" out of them. She admits this cuts down on lesson time, but I figure the shorter the sweeter. I'll give it a shot next week.

Every week I'm a bit nervous about how Arden's feeding schedule will affect my class. So far it's worked out. I nurse her during most of sharing time while Adam sits with my class. She's good to go by the time class starts at 11 a.m., and Adam takes her for that hour. This week I had Arden with me during class. Adam went to Elder's Quorum and was set apart as one of the teachers. He gets to teach once a month, and next week is his Sunday. So that means I'll have Arden next week, too. She was very well-behaved today. She sat quietly (for the most part) in her carrier during class. I held her during closing exercises, and she was as happy as could be. She loves looking around at all the activity around her. Hopefully, she'll be just as good next week.

Wish me luck!


No comments: