CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, September 12, 2008

Birth and Baby

Adam and I went to our first Birth and Baby class last night. It's a 2-hour class that meets every Thursday evening for five weeks. I knew I needed to sign up for a class of some sort, and this one seemed to cover all of the basics. It was actually very interesting. We learned about how our bodies change as pregnancy progresses. We also saw a video of a birth...not something I really ever wanted to see. It actually wasn't that bad. The placenta coming out afterwards was kind of gross, though. Then we learned some relaxation techniques related to breathing. I giggled a few times during that exercise, and Adam nearly fell asleep. It was a pretty good class, and I'm looking forward to next week. Now I just need to look into a breastfeeding class.

I can't believe I'll be 32 weeks along tomorrow. I'm feeling very unprepared! So far we have carseats, cloth diapers are on the way (BumGenius 3.0!), a swing (I know, not an essential), and some cute outfits. My dad has a bouncer chair, a highchair, and a play yard we can use. I know I want a mini co-sleeper and don't necessarily need a crib right away (we'll be living with my dad for the first few months). My mom is planning a baby shower for me, but I have no idea when that will be. Anyone have any suggestions on what a baby actually needs? I just want to make sure I get all of the essentials. Any advice would be extremely helpful!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

My favorites:
-swaddle wraps (only good when very little)
-swaddle blankets (for when bigger-look at Target)the best or jersey or the waffle looking material, nothing silky
-Pajama dresses. They just have elastic at the bottom instead of legs holes. Great for mignight diaper changes. My girls slept in them every night for the first 6 months.
-a Sound Machine!!! I swear by these.

Check out the video "Happiest Baby on the Block". It saved my life.

Kristina said...

Burp clothes -- I think that cloth diapers work the best.

I agree with Ashley about the swaddle wraps and pajama dresses. Those are wonderful things!!!

You might want to look into a bouncer seat...some babies love the vibration that comes with the bouncer. In my opinion a bouncer or swing is a necessity for sanity with a newborn.

Good luck!

Allison said...

Thanks Ashley and Kristina! I'll definitely have to look into those things.

Moegurl said...

Ditto on the burp cloths (you'll go through about 18 a day in the beginning!) and sound machine.

And though a swing is not essential, it may make your life a whole lot easier. Both Donovan and Attie loved the swing. It buys you half an hour to take a shower.

You might like having a wrap/carrier of some kind too. I have the Moby and love it. You can use it for newborn up to toddlers and you can wrap the baby in a variety of ways. I can nurse Donovan out in public in it and no one has any idea! Some people swear by the Baby Bjorns or Snugglis, but we found them to be pretty limiting. Babies just love to be held and if your baby ends up being rather fussy (like Attie was), a wrap or Snugli of some kind could be a lifesaver for you!

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of The Nursing Mother's Companion. Breastfeeding can be tricky at first and that book was such a help to me, not just in the beginning, but throughout the year when problems arose like a blocked duct.

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well for you. Won't be long now!

Shena said...

a couple of things I have sworn to love! 1-Combi strollers are the best. They are compact so you don't have to sacrifice your trunk nor do you sacrifice comfort or style. Mine has lasted 3 children over the past 8 years! Worth it! 2- get some cotton caps for sleeping. Babies lose their body heat through their heads. I always put caps on their head while they slept so they not only slept better by staying warmer but none of my kids lost their hair or got the bald spot on the back of their head from rubbing it against the sheets. 3- NUK binkies are the best in my opinion- orthodontic style of course. 4- if you are serious about breastfeeding... get a Medela Breastpump it's worth the money. Check ebay for new ones. We saved a lot this way. Also get a nice nursing bra. The women's hospital does a great job with fitting them for you and you can order them there as well.